Top 5 New Foods to Try at the 2016 Iowa State FairThe 2016 Iowa State Fair is almost here, and it’s making us hungry just thinking about it! Every year the fair announces a list of new foods that will be available to fairgoers. Some are classics, and some are interesting (to say the least), but these are the top 5 foods we can’t wait to give a try!
- Ice Cream Nachos: Everyone likes nachos, and everyone likes ice cream, so why not combine the two? These nachos are made of cinnamon sugar chips and cinnamon ice cream topped with hot fudge, caramel, bits of chocolate, and strawberries. Perfect for those hot summer days of the fair!
- Funnel Bacon on a Stick: There’s no such thing as calories at the fair, right? Good thing, because Funnel Bacon on a Stick is one of those foods you just have to try while at the fair! This interesting new food includes a deep fried strip of bacon on a stick, dipped in funnel cake batter, then deep fried again, and topped with your choice of maple butter cream, caramel or chocolate syrup.
- Not Your Mamma’s Taco: This 2016 New Food Contest Finalist is a new kind of taco sure to make your mouth water! The taco is made of a deep fried flour tortilla filled with seasoned turkey, homemade veggie slaw, and sweet mango salsa. Give the new taco a try at the Iowa Turkey Federation stand, west of the Anne and Bill Riley Stage.
- Caramel Cocoa Crispy Crunch: Another tasty treat sure to please is the Caramel Cocoa Crispy Crunch. It doesn’t get much better than this frozen blend of cocoa crispies, marshmallows, white chocolate and caramel fudge dipped in chocolate. Yum!
- Pride of Iowa Wrap: Last, but definitely not least, is the Pride of Iowa Wrap. Also one of this year’s Best New Food Finalists, this wrap is sure to be a fairgoer favorite! The wrap is jam-packed with pork shoulder, sweet corn salsa, bacon bits, cheese, avocado relish, chipotle aioli and crispy tortilla bites. The wrap will be available at the G. Migs stand, just southeast of the Varied Industries Building.